Thursday, February 23, 2017

Are you good at homework?

Homework was something I loved to do.  I know, crazy right?   But for quilters there are some interesting ways to look at homework.  One is mystery quilts.

I just finished a top in the Meadow Mist Mystery that Cheryl Brickey has done for the past few years. I wasn't convinced that I would love this, but I like Cheryl's designs and thought if I could use some fabric from my stash, that would be a bonus.  Using my stash mostly worked out except for user error.  I didn't really measure what I had and had cut some away (fabric that looks like Swiss cheese) so I needed a little more background.  Also, I measured wrong on a large number of cuts - I know - how stupid was that!



What I love about it:
  1. I have a pretty top that needs two borders - which I have.
  2. It is nearly done - the goal is a finished top by April.
  3. While, I love it, it doesn't have a purpose, so it goes in the stash for when I might need a benefit or donation or gift quilt!
  4. I used my some fabric from my stash.
I was unsure about not knowing the design, but I came to live with it. For the Meadow Mist Mystery quilt, it was an option to know.  It was kind of fun waiting to see people guessing the arrangement and the final option (but the facebook group came up with a few more).

For quilters, Block of the Month programs can also give you the same result.  I have a few quilts that I have given to friends from these and take great joy in it.

So, if you like to keep up with homework and use your stash - watch for Cheryl's next mystery or your LQS Block of the Month or pick another.  Sew Fresh Quilts has a few quilt alongs running.  I was tempted by the Christmas one but it does not address my stash problem.  In a short while (12 months or less), you will have a completed top.  Added bonus:  you can even do most of it in the privacy of your own home!