Tuesday, March 27, 2018

March UFO Done - OMG Finish and APQResolution

This quilt has spend a couple of years on my UFO lists but, happily, I can report that it is finished.  This quilt was for my OneMonthlyGoal and my APQResolution2018 lists and my #2018FALQ1.  I bought the pattern years ago (probably 10) but who's counting.  It took me a long time to find the fabrics for the loon and I think they are nearly perfect!  And then, I just hesitated or procrastinated or was too afraid to start the technique on my own.
The pattern is from Joan Shay whose technique is called Petal Play Appli-bond©.  This pattern is  called Loon and Water Lilies.   More about her technique and patterns are available at her website.  
You use HeatnBond©Ultra Hold and use this between two layers of one fabric.  The HeatnBond allows you to attach the pieces and they can hold there shape(like the petals) or hang loose(like the feathers) or twist the like reeds.  For instance, the petals are bonded once, then you press for a few seconds and curl them!  They hold their curl.   Joan also sells something called AppliBond needles which are able to go through the HeatNBond and fabric - they seem to have a three-pointed needle (I am imaging that leather needles are like this).  I do love that I had this bright pink in a number of shades and blended them with the flowers.  The feathers, however are my favorite part.

So, this completes my OMG and my APQ Resolution for March.  YIPPEE!

Linking up to:  Elm Street Quilts/One Monthly Goal

Quilt stats:
"Loon on a Lake"  22x33
Pattern:  Loon and Water Lilies by Joan Shay

Next months project will be up soon.   I expect it may be finishing a piece I am working on today in Paula Nadelstern's class.  It is a great class - take it if you ever get the chance.