Thursday, February 16, 2017

A finish and a challenge for me.


We have had quite a bit of snow.

The last time I anticipated snow, I ran to my LQS - Cambridge Quilt Shop - and picked up some batting and pin basted my 9 patch quilt.   It was a design I worked on on EQ7, something I am trying to do more of.

This quilt is made up of 4"squares left from a prior project.  The background blues are two different pieces; one for the 9-patches and one for the plain squares.  This was on a list of UFO's for 2016, but got pushed into 2017, nothing too difficult I just ran out of time in late 2016.

The good news was that in October I purchased a ruler foot set for my domestic machine, a Bernina 440 QE.  They are available from Sew Steady, but I purchased through another LQS, Bits n Pieces in Pelham NH (one of the vendors at Rising Star Quilters in the fall).  I attended a workshop in January (I think) and was inspired to quilt this quilt with these rulers.

It was fun! Mostly the techniques required some registration marks and planning around how it was going to fit.   I used both the Ruler Starter Set (which comes with the foot to use against the rulers) and the Sampler Template Set 1.  I varied the design in the finished quilt.  Here's some pictures of what I did.

This was my first design with the 12"arc template
This one used the clam shell on both inside and outside edge of the border.

This one used the Spiral.  You can see I missed a little on following the guide.  Chalk it up to the learning curve.

I highly recommend learning to use the rulers.  There  are some videos too if you are curious about these on you tube with aa link for the clam shell.  Have fun exploring!  

I'll post a finish picture when I finish the binding and label - but all in all I consider this a Feb Finish, and my third UFO for 2017.



       




No comments:

Post a Comment