Wednesday, May 10, 2017

A class and a plan....

This was a really busy week for me with 5 appointments, work and a class on the weekend.  I didn't get a whole lot of quilting done, but here is what I did when I had time (or the class).
The layout of the rest of the leaves on #freefallqal

I continued my work on #freefallqal sponsored by Sandra at mmm! quilts.  Earlier in the week, I followed Yvonne's suggestion and tried to figure out the location of blocks before I piece the last 6 blocks for the quilt.   I think this will work and  I began piecing the first two.  I got lost somewhere, and put it down until later today, when I should have more time and a clearer mind to see where I went wrong.  I didn't piece it so it was the parts of the unit that were driving me nuts.  I do believe in stopping when it isn't working out.

On Saturday, I took a class with Nancy Halpern.  She is a local quilter who has been quilting for over 20 years.  She has taught nationally and internationally and I was intrigued by her quilts.  You can see a little more about her here.  Below is a picture of a traditional Japanese Puzzle quilt.

A traditional Japanese Puzzle by Mabry Benson



Our task was to take an impressionist picture or a picture of our choosing and turn it into a Japanese puzzle quilt.  You can see a bit of  the picture on the bottom right of the picture below.  



It is a complex process of cutting out the four pieces from one fabric and rejoining them with adjacent blocks. 

Here is a piece of the Japanese Puzzle on Nancy's quilt

The actual patch that is sewn is outlined in the red lines.



I have no idea when I'll get back to this, but here is where I left it my quilt at the end of the day.  I attempted to have the water going around the blocks.  It is fun seeing how this might work!  I have to admit halfway through the process I was unsure.  I do hope that I can get back to it before long.

End of the day


Meanwhile, I will link to Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Be Social Wednesday!






10 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very busy week! I like where your Freefall quilt is headed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your Freefall quilt is floating right into place. I look forward to following your progress on the puzzle quilt. It is such an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tish, thank you. The Japanese puzzle is an interesting one. I look forward to getting some time to get back to it!

      Delete
  3. Whatever the layout, your Freefall is looking good! I have never seen the Japanese puzzle quilt. Looks like you choose the perfect photo to intrepret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paige! I think it should be a lot of fun once I get back to it.

      Delete
  4. So many fun Freefalls I'm seeing, including yours! I've not ever seen the Japanese puzzle quilt either. It looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! I love the quilt and am anxious to put it together. The Japanese puzzle block has been around for awhile, but this way of doing it (using a picture) is a bit different.

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, love this! Interesting to see the Japanese puzzle pattern laid out according to a photo. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. I won't get back to it for a few weeks but I do look forward to it. It is an interesting approach.

      Delete