|The layout of the rest of the leaves on #freefallqal|
I continued my work on #freefallqal sponsored by Sandra at mmm! quilts. Earlier in the week, I followed Yvonne's suggestion and tried to figure out the location of blocks before I piece the last 6 blocks for the quilt. I think this will work and I began piecing the first two. I got lost somewhere, and put it down until later today, when I should have more time and a clearer mind to see where I went wrong. I didn't piece it so it was the parts of the unit that were driving me nuts. I do believe in stopping when it isn't working out.
On Saturday, I took a class with Nancy Halpern. She is a local quilter who has been quilting for over 20 years. She has taught nationally and internationally and I was intrigued by her quilts. You can see a little more about her here. Below is a picture of a traditional Japanese Puzzle quilt.
|A traditional Japanese Puzzle by Mabry Benson|
Our task was to take an impressionist picture or a picture of our choosing and turn it into a Japanese puzzle quilt. You can see a bit of the picture on the bottom right of the picture below.
It is a complex process of cutting out the four pieces from one fabric and rejoining them with adjacent blocks.
|Here is a piece of the Japanese Puzzle on Nancy's quilt|
|The actual patch that is sewn is outlined in the red lines.|
I have no idea when I'll get back to this, but here is where I left it my quilt at the end of the day. I attempted to have the water going around the blocks. It is fun seeing how this might work! I have to admit halfway through the process I was unsure. I do hope that I can get back to it before long.
|End of the day|
Meanwhile, I will link to Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Be Social Wednesday!