Monday, March 7, 2016

February UFO (#5) done, and March UFO is ready for its finish (#3)

Well, if you have been following this blog, I am do the  UFO challenge at All People Quilt.  For me, this one was to do some labels and a brief label tutorial will follow in the next day or two.  I had 2 labels on my list, but it was a good month.  So I finished 2 labels and did 2 more for quilts that needed labels.  I am so happy with this little achievement.  Silly that it took so long.

NEW RESOLUTION:    When I make the binding, cut strips and label piece and put them in plastic bag with binding.

Really, wouldn't that be simple.  I intend to do it so that it becomes part of the finishing process.

So, here's my tutorial:

1.  Decide what is on your label.   Here is what I usually include:

  • Quilt Name
  • Your Name
  • City, State
  • Finished Date
  • Techniques
  • Pattern Name/Designer
2.  Put that information into a word processing document to help you see how it will layout.  I usually center the information

3.  Cut 2" strips for your label border, I usually use a piece that is from the front of the quilt and will help the label stand out on the back of the quilt.  Place the strips on the side.

4.  Cut a piece of fabric about the size you will need for the label itself.  8.5" square is a more than generous place to begin.

5.  Iron on freezer paper with lines to the back of the label fabric.  This is a piece I have used many times and you can find it here (I added the center line).

6.  Write out your label.   I did this in the evening and used my iPhone flashlight under my sewing machine table to help me see.  Use Pigma pens.

7.  Sew borders on label.  Usually I sew both long sides first.  Press seams towards the strips.  Add the short sides.  Press seams towards strips.


9.  To ease the attachment to the quilt,I press two more things.  First, I fold the corners towards the back side of the label, into the intersection of the seams.   Do this on all 4 corners.

10.  Press the borders towards the seams.  I usually do top and bottom first, sides last.  Turn over and press from front.

11.  Take to sewing machine and sew 1/4" away from edge to hold it down.  This makes appliquéing to the quilt back very simple.

12.  Attach to your quilt back - I usually use a blind stitch.

Here are my finished labels from my Leap Day work session!