Friday, March 17, 2017

Scrap quilting


This is a project from the UFO list last year.   I had  some leftover flying geese and scraps from a Block of the Month quilt I made a few years ago.   I am making a table runner with it. I saw a pattern called "Elegant Runner" by Terry Albers in Fons & Porter's Easy Quilts, Fall 2012.  I put it in the bag with the scraps and this uses her pattern.  Of course, the dimensions are all different, but the idea is Terry's.

                  

Some lessons I learned:

  1. There is never enough fabric in your scraps in the colors you need
  2. Thangles can help you squeeze half square triangles ⬕ out of fabric that is too short to do it the normal way.
  3. Keep on working with what you have
So far I have:
  1. Flying geese assembled into four pieces with some border fabric
  2. 4 stars made with thangles and
  3. more scraps
The plan is to make the the 8" block be surrounded by some of the leftover fabric and maybe a black inner border to finish the table runner.