Monday, December 11, 2017

Mariner's Compass, an oldie but goodie


We recently hung this Mariner's Compass in my husband's study.  I made the quilt with him in mind.  The fabric was bought on a trip to Bermuda, maybe spring of 2005.  I always wanted him to hang it somewhere, but not until the new apartment did that wish get fulfilled.   I was able to take a class with with Judy Matheison, the master of the mariner's compass block,  in November 2005.




The quilting follows along the lines of the compass.  In the border, I used a stencil with an egg and dart pattern - maybe not this exact one and a frond in the corners of the block.  This is early in my machine quilting days but it certainly was enough to make it work, and holds the quilt together nicely.  I loved the fabric on the back and in fact, and had a friend get some in San Francisco on one of her trips.




The label was done for  show, probably Rising Star in the fall of 2006.   I can't quite figure out the title, as I would have thought it might have to do with latitude and longitude but it doesn't.  I looked up the entry in the show, and that had nothing to indicate what it meant. [Addendum:  I figured it out - To get to Bermuda from Boston it is 770 Miles SE]

I do love the quilt and am pleased to show you an old but favorite block/quilt.