Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Galentine's Day is February 13th!



 

 Here is my Galentine's Mug Rug.  
For the Island Batik Ambassadors, we were given our first assignment - make a mug rug or postcard for one of your Gal Pals to celebrate Galentine's Day. The fabric for this challenge was provided by Island Batik. A little explanation below and you'll get the gist of what this day is about if you never heard of it (I hadn't before this).

If you’re not familiar with Galentine’s Day, it is a holiday created by the fictional character Leslie Knope from the TV show, “Parks and Recreation”, watch this video. As Leslie explains, Galentine’s Day is a celebration of our best gal pals and lady friends, and it’s the day before Valentine’s Day. Why shouldn’t we celebrate our fellow females who encourage and inspire us???


So what to do.  I decided, for a variety of reasons to do something very simple.  In fact so simple that the I forgot to take pictures as I was going along.  I had many elaborate plans in my head, but as schedules collided I decide that KISS - Keep it simple stupid - would prevail.  Squares and half square triangles and I would be there.  So I worked it up in EQ8 and off I went.


The Galentine's bundle I received from Island Batik is shown and I used each piece. 
Here's the formula for this little quilt if you'd like to make it.


Background Pink Dots 6 - 2 1/2” squares 4 - 3 1/4” squares
Heart center  red fern 2- 2 1/2” squares


Pink/Red swirls 2- 2 1/2” squares

Heart Outside Red sunflower 2- 2 1/2” squares 4 - 3 1/4” squares
Backing Beige butterfly 1 - 9x13” rectangle

Binding Pink/Red swirls 2 1/2” strip 50” long 50” long


Brief instructions:

  1. Place the light pint and dark red squares together.
  2. Mark the 3 1/4" light pink squares with a center line, and 1/4" on each side of that line. 
  3. Sew, and cut apart.  Press to dark side. TRIM to 2 1/2".
  4. Lay out all the squares and the half square triangles according to the picture above.
  5. Sew together (I usually pin to be sure I don't sew on the wrong side of the pieces).
  6. Sandwich.
  7. Quilt as desired.


I simply quilted the outline of the heart in a matching pink thread (Mettler 50wt. #803) and the interior of the heart with some free motion hearts (Mettler 50 wt, #960).  I thought it could use a little more so I just drew the little hearts in the bottom corners.  Yes, it was a close call with the one thread (but I did have another spool in case).




My label was attached, then the binding.  The label is from Tagtopia - and is a great way to get that done nice and quickly.  I sometimes do more extensive labels - you can see it in my tutorial.    I did use Aurifil #2600 for piecing and for the bobbin thread while quilting.  The threads played nicely and didn't need any tension adjustment on my Janome 3160 QDC (the machine in Maine).

Imagined, sewed, quilted, labelled, bound and off it goes!  I kept it simple and did my first project as an Island Batik Ambassador.  I hope my friend loves and enjoys it as much as I did!


Linking to:  Linky Tuesday    
                  Main Crush Monday 
                  Let's Bee Social
                 Wednesday Wait Loss