Island Batik Ambassadors were asked this month to try a technique. It didn't have to be a particular size or use a particular line - so the sky was the limit (the fabrics were provided by Island Batik). I have been quilting a long time, and worked in a quilt store, so I have tried a lot of techniques. What to do???
In April, while I was still working at Cambridge Quilts, Linda Warren stopped by with her ruler and some patterns. While I couldn't make a decision for the store to buy it, I liked it enough to by one for me. The ruler is not very large - pieces will finish either 2" or 4". The pattern I chose would make a 12" block. There wasn't a lot of fabric, so I had to be careful
Linda Warren Designs and also follow her on facebook.
The first order of business was this test block. I loved the technique and so I chose my fabrics. One thing about me is I never do the easiest pattern first - always the hardest. I did watch one of her videos, too, just to be sure that I knew what I was doing.
Island Batik sent quite a few fabrics, but it is always hard to decide which group to jump in and use. I figured since we have been in the winter of our discontent with 3 Nor'easters in March, I would do my Nor'easter quilt! I would use Alpine Ice! Here is one of the pictures that helped me figure out what I wanted to use. The middle fabric with snowflakes was a little bluer/brighter than the others so I pulled it. out. Funny that the background looks much whiter in that picture.
Linda's business card had the setting I used with a kind of gradation of color across it. I loved the one on her business card but was afraid it would be too busy. I made one section and loved it! I tried to group the fabrics to make it work, but mostly, it think it helped the prints be in a little more control. The other batiks I had were just not going to work, so I decided to go ahead.
It is a good idea to press seams open and use a stiletto. I never liked pressing seams open, a hard habit to break. I find myself doing it more and more. The stiletto really helped control the curved piecing and no pins were damaged in this exercise. 😉
I chain piece when I can, because why not!
Here is the final quilt!
Hobbs Thermore batting for this quilt (generously provided by them) and I loved the way it behaved. It is thin but has a bit of loft. Quite nice! Notice there are triangles I used for hanging smaller pieces.
In case you were wondering what a whole quilt might look like here's an example. I used a program called Layout on my Iphone to do this. Note, there is a double row that acts differently and interrupts the interlocking circles, but you get the idea. If you want to see others, you can go to Linda's facebook page from here.