Friday, March 9, 2018

Squiggle Finish




This quilt was a lot of fun to do.  I did it as a quilt along with Christa Quilts and it is all done.   The schedule was relaxed enough and I took the same break as Christa did, due to getting some Island Batik work done. The pattern is from her book Piece and Quilt with Precuts I think I like for the following reasons:
  • it was not one of my ufo's - so I had no emotional blocks
  • it was a well structured QAL
  • it used up a charm pack I won and, most importantly,
  • it will be a benefit quilt.

I won this group of fat quarters last fall during the Quilt Bloggers Festival.  They are from Moda and called Midnight Garden by 1Canoe2 and I thought they would be perfect for this quilt!  They were paired with a Moda Grunge and it made a great combination.

I used my Sizzix (affliate link - if you buy I get a little commision) for the first time to cut the squares and make the triangles.  It also saved the marking of the many squares.  And, with the leftovers, I cut some 2 1/2" strips.  I loved using it and know it will come in handy.  I don't forsee a huge collection of dies for me, but some of the common sizes or scrap busting sizes I will definitely use (5" square, 2 1/2" triangle,  2 1/2" strips are the basic ones I have now).  

Another fun thing was quilting as Christa did.  I used the squiggles and enjoyed the process.   It definitely is a new go to quilting pattern for me, as is the quilt pattern.



Another part of the fun of this quilt was doing it with a few of my blogging friends.  It was another nice little incentive to getting this done and staying up with the schedule. The participants included:
Wenday @ Pieceful Thoughts of My Quilting Life, Jan @CocoaQuilts and the instigator, Rose @ SomethingRoseMade. [Rose says Jan instigated - no matter - it was fun to do it with 2017 New Quilt Blogger friends!]

Its a great go-to pattern for 5" squares  - I see more of these in my future.  My version measured 46" x 59".  I had a little less fabric than needed, but I made it work!  Thanks, ChristaQuilts for a fun quiltalong!

Linking up with:  Finish It Up Friday
                             Friday Foto Fun
                             Finished or Not Friday
                             Pieceful Sunday